Introducing #OpEducate. We need to get the word out there to the average joe, the average social media user, not only the techies.
It is not that hard to make a difference, to spread the word, call in to local TV / radio, or to contact your congressman. I'll discuss a few ways you can easily make a difference.
This post it dedicated to help you, help America & educate the general public.
I'll keep it as short & simple as possible.
Operations Protests Movements
Reddit, possibly the site that really got the ball rolling, put their money where their mouth was and announced they will be having a "blackout" on January the 18th for 12 hours.
On twitter, its being called #sopablackout, #j18, where the idea is that from 8:00AM to 8:00PM on January 18th people will be "unplugging" from social media & the internet. Also, profile pics are being changed to "censored" or anti-SOPA media.
Paul Tassi from Forbes wrote an article Jan 11 discussing the need for massive companies such as Google and Facebook to also speak out against SOPA, and conduct similar "blackouts" or censorship to gain public attention. The next day Paul wrote a new article: "If Facebook Won't We Can Do It For Them" discussing how Facebook users can protest to hopefully gain more public attention & the support of Facebook.
Shortly after the event on Facebook Stop Internet Censorship by Protesting SOPA
Refer those who are unfamiliar to these sites for info:
What they can do
- Spread the word! Tell your friends, tell your coworkers, tell your neighbors, family, mailmen, paperboys, tell everyone
- Contact your congressman. Here is a great website to help you with that: http://www.contactingthecongress.org/
- Join the movement and take advantage of some helpful tools:
- Contact local media, call radio stations, TV stations, newspapers.
OK I read this, now what?
- Please, Tweet this, Share it on Facebook, reddit, tumblr, wherever you are online, share it!
I shared something like this on my FB and keep changing it up and sharing it different days:
The US Governement will have the power to censor the internet come Jan 24th unless you say something! If you are unfamiliar check out this site: http://bit.ly/wbhdTu
More info and tools to help here: http://americancensorship.org/
- Most important, contact your representatives, and urge those you know to do the same. Find your congressman here: http://www.contactingthecongress.org/ It really is simple, Just get their email and phone number and make sure your voice is heard! Takes no more than 5 minutes.
- Collaborate. Share ideas with me and each other on how we can more effectively be heard.